Adams Diagnostic Imaging Ultrasounds
Adams Diagnostic Imaging brings cutting-edge radiology programs to Pennsylvania for the convenience of patients in the region.
Adams Diagnostic Imaging Center provides comprehensive diagnostic ultrasound services for Gettysburg and all of central Pennsylvania. Our radiology team produces high-quality ultrasound images for Gettysburg doctors to accurately diagnose and track patient conditions.
What Is an Ultrasound Scan?
An ultrasound scan is a safe, painless imaging procedure that uses sound waves to produce images of the inside of the body. This diagnostic tool is often used to visualize and diagnose patient conditions without an incision, and is most famously used to track the progress of a pregnancy.
How Does Ultrasound Work?
Ultrasound imaging, alternatively called sonography, uses a small probe and ultrasound gel placed on the patient’s skin. The probe transmits high-frequency sound waves through the gel into the body, while a transducer collects the sound that bounces back. The transducer communicates these sound patterns to a computer, which uses the sound waves to create an image. These images are collected in real-time to show the structure and movement of body organs and blood.
How To Prepare for an Ultrasound
Ultrasounds are standard procedure for most clinics and hospitals and require little preparation on the part of the patient. Just remember a few tips:
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing for the exam, as you may need to remove it or wear a gown.
- Avoid wearing jewelry or accessories around the area to be examined — it will need to be removed.
- Some exams may require you to not eat or drink for 12 hours before your appointment, while others may require you to drink more water. Your doctor will notify you of specific instructions beforehand.
The procedure will usually take anywhere from a few minutes to nearly an hour, depending what the doctor is examining. After you are finished, you can return to normal activities and should receive results within 24 hours, if not immediately.
What Is Ultrasound Used For?
Diagnostic ultrasounds at our Gettysburg location are used to help diagnose several conditions and assess organ damage associated with various diseases. Just a few examples include:
- Heart Conditions: Blood flow problems, palpitations, etc.
- Gallbladder Conditions: Gallstones, blockages, infections, etc.
- Uterine Conditions: Pregnancy, infertility, etc.
- Bladder Conditions: Blockages, infections, etc.
Ultrasound can also be used in tandem with surgical procedures to help guide biopsy needles.
Adams Diagnostic Imaging is one of the best ultrasound centers in PA. By cutting out extraneous costs, we achieve quality results at a fraction of the cost of any other top PA ultrasound centers. With nationally certified technologists and radiologists, we can ensure your images are being interpreted correctly so you can maximize your treatment.
If you have any questions about an ultrasound or need assistance scheduling your next appointment, please contact us using the form below.