Adams Diagnostic Imaging X-Rays
Our goal at Adams Diagnostic Imaging is to provide personalized, local X-Ray scans to patients across Central Pennsylvania.
What Is an X-Ray?
An X-ray is a decades-old imaging technology that uses X-ray photons to develop images of the body’s internal structures.
The modern X-ray machine works by shooting photons through the human body. These photons will pass harmlessly through most tissues, passing from one side of a patient’s body to another. The major exception to this is bone — bone absorbs these photons, preventing them from passing through the patient’s body. Therefore, the pattern of photons created on the opposite side of the patient’s body should be a perfect silhouette of their skeletal structure. In modern technology, a camera records this silhouette.
What Can X-Rays Be Used For?
X-ray imaging is most commonly known for its utility in determining whether a bone is fractured. However, the medical uses of X-rays extend far beyond this capacity. X-rays can be used to:
- Detect bone diseases like cancer, osteoporosis and arthritis
- Detect bone injuries, such as fractures, breaks and decay
- Detect irregularities in internal organs like enlarged organs and blockages
- Detect foreign objects in the body
Depending on the patient’s condition, an X-ray is often the first step in the imaging process, used to eliminate possibilities, if not outright diagnose a problem. If the X-ray does not explain the source of the condition, it will generally be followed up by a CT scan or MRI.
What to Expect During an X-Ray
X-rays are standard procedure for most medical practices, and require very little preparation on the part of the patient. There are a few things to expect during the procedure:
- Try to wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to move in and change out of
- Remove any jewelry or body piercings before the X-ray procedure
- Be sure that your doctor or radiologist is aware of any metal implants or shrapnel in your body
Adams Diagnostic Imaging is one of the best imaging service providers in central Pennsylvania, providing high-quality X-ray and imaging in Gettysburg and the surrounding area. If you have questions about the X-ray procedure or need assistance scheduling your next appointment, please contact us using the form below.